Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Make Big the Little I Do

A few years ago I received a phone call asking if I could visit a young girl (13) who was in the hospital with cancer. The call came from the girl’s grandmother who also shared that the girl’s mom didn't care much for her "religious ways" and there could be some opposition to my visit if the mom is there.

It can be awkward visiting someone who’s in a serious condition, especially if you don’t know them. You are stepping into one of the deepest and most emotional times in their life which is an honor if you’re invited, but if you’re not, well, then you really don’t want to be there either.

Corinne and I made it to Loma Linda Hospital the next day and found the young girl in her room alone and quite sleepy due to all the meds. Her hair had fallen out from the Chemo treatments and I remember being struck that she looked much older than she really was. I explained who I was and that her grandmother had asked me to visit, hoping to make our being there a little more comfortable.

She seemed very tired and didn’t say much. I shared simply that God loved her, and wanted to be part of this difficult time in her life. I encouraged her to talk to the Lord about all she was thinking and feeling. We prayed and I left a card with my phone number and told her that she or her mom could call me anytime. The next morning, Corinne and I left the country and took a team to Wales for two weeks. When I returned, I called the hospital only to find that she had been released and I had no further information regarding her.

Months later, the grandmother came to the office and told Mary, the receptionist, that her granddaughter had passed away. She wanted to personally say “thanks” and said that her granddaughter told her that our visit meant so much to her. When Mary told me this, it struck me hard; I had no idea that our time there meant anything to her at all. Was I so busy and distracted that I didn’t sense what was going on? For goodness sake - she was only 13 years old! What did I expect? I went into my office, closed the door, and cried. If the little time I spent meant so much, why didn’t I spend more time with her? I failed to see the the privilege I had to represent Jesus to a precious 13 year old girl, who had become much older than she really was.

God help me not to miss that again and please take the little I do and make it of lasting value.

2 comments:

Raquel said...

Thank you for sharing.

Sam Scotti said...

Thanks for reading :)