Friday, December 7, 2007

That Smile

That Smile
Well the day finally came when we saw our son Samuel, and I must say that all my anticipation did not compare to the actual time we had today. There are so many aspects to this day that I could talk about, but I want to stay focused on his smile. I will not forget when I first spotted him in his platoon, and when Corinne and I yelled out his name and he glanced our way and gave that smirk he gives when he doesn’t want to smile (and believe me he wasn’t supposed to).

The smirk
He looked great; they were about to begin their five-mile motivational run followed by the emblem ceremony and then we would be able to greet and spend what seemed like the quickest five hours with him for lunch and a quick visit. I was aware of a few things in that time, one was how happy he was. Now I would like to think it was just to see us, but I think a lot of it was the fact that he had completed something that he has wanted to do for a long, long time, plus the fact that he would be going home tomorrow. A second thing I noticed was the connection he had with his fellow Marines. I mean here we were, his family who he hadn’t seen in four months, yet he would go out of his way to say hi and congratulate those he spent all this time with, or they would say these little things that only really they found meaning in. It’s not hard to see why, he had just gone through the most intense time of his life with these people which brought a depth and connection that was special between them. I thought how true it is and why we are told to share one another’s burdens, to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice. It brings a deeper growth and bond than probably any other way and it was Jesus’ desire that we be one in John 17. As I was talking with my son over things that stood out to him through boot camp, most of the things he mentioned dealt with the hardship he had to overcome, especially of an event called the Crucible. The word crucible comes from a Latin word having to deal with melting or purifying of metals and really isn’t that what is meant to happen with us in the refining process in our lives as we pursue the Lord? So a life that is blessed (or happy), is a life that is refined. Maybe that is one of the reasons Samuel was so happy, even when he was leaving, going back to more drills and to bed at 9 (still can’t get over that), he said, tomorrow, I go home, with that he walked away, …smiling.

Tomorrow, I go home

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is like a great movie! We are so proud of Samuel! It brings tears to our eyes and real joy in our heart to see what God is doing in Samuel and in You Sam. We love you guys!

The Whaleys

Anonymous said...

Sam and Corinne,

Wow. I am so blessed for you guys, and the joy that the Lord has brought. It is just a great, great thing.

Love to you guys. I am sure that this Christmas will be especially sweet.