Thursday, January 1, 2009

something new

With the dawn of a new year, comes for me and Corinne some new news. Our son, Samuel and our daughter-in-law, Dominique are with child! That’s right, my son is going to be a dad! I know I have shared this with a few of you already as I have been running into a few people around town, but I figured I would share it here this blog too that it might reach those of you I don’t bump into, including some of you across the pond as well.

Now, Corinne and I are as excited and thrilled as can be and the term, ‘grandparent’ doesn’t really faze either of us at all, in fact bring it on! But I would ask you to pray for them both as she is still in the Army and stationed in Hawaii and he in the Marines, stationed in North Carolina and being deployed to Afghanistan sometime soon. There are a lot of possibilities and even more questions on what is going to happen and so we are praying that this change in their lives will move them in a healthy direction for momma, dad and the baby.

The city of Upland has put up flags along some of the main streets, supporting those who are in the armed forces. We had received a letter informing us that they were putting up a flag for Samuel, but did not know where it was, so as we would drive up or down these streets our eyes would glance up and wonder if our son’s name would be spotted. Well, leave it to a mom to find her son. One day Corinne calls me and excitedly tells me that she spotted “the flag”. So just like the Supertramp song, I take the long way home to see it for myself. Funny that a flag could somehow make me feel a little closer to my son, but it did. It is a tangible reminder of someone I love and care for deeply. The same is true for the scriptures; they are a written reminder that if God cares for the birds that don’t plant, harvest or store in barns, how much more is He keeping an eye on my son & daughter-in-law who are much more valuable to Him? And just as I know where that flag is with my son’s name on it, (Mountain Ave., third flag north of Foothill Blvd. on the west side of the street) God knows where he is too and not just his position, but the deeper things still.


Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Matthew 6:26 ( NLT )

No comments: