Wednesday, January 2, 2008

All Things New

All Things New
As the New Year has come, I was thinking about this word, “new”, Whether it’s a new outfit or a new start, the idea of something fresh or a chance to begin again with a clean slate is very appealing to us and thus we have resolutions to lose weight, get out of debt and the hopes of just “starting over” with the “New” Year.
One reason I believe we find the idea of starting over so appealing is because of the mistakes we make, whether it’s a bad relationship, tax penalties we didn’t pay or just something we did and regret, the thought of getting out from under the effects of
theses things are very appealing indeed.
I think God is very fond of this “new” idea as well, that’s why we see a thread throughout the scripture. His mercies are new every morning (Lam. 3), we are new creations in Christ (1Cor. 5), God even says, “behold I make all things new (Rev. 21).”

Now, of course “new” things are great when it comes to second chances and cars (just check out Bill’s blog “Daddy’s New Ride” http://pastorbillwalden.blogspot.com ). However they can get a bit scary when it’s as serious as a relationship or career
change, but regardless of what it is, and whether it is fearful or thrilling, with anything “new” there is also the possibility of something better. I think that is one of the reasons God likes making things new, because what He is really interested in, is making things better and making us Holy (complete).
This has been a reality of what Corinne and I have been living in lately and after I touch base with a few people I will be sharing more on some decisions that we have recently made, but I believe this thought of new, faces us all throughout our lives as
we make choices between being safe, or being better.
Maybe the thought of taking seriously a more committed relationship to Jesus is your doorway to a new beginning, but you are afraid it is an end to many things in your life (In truth, it’s a bit of both). Which would you choose?


I will ask you the question that I have been asking myself for the past few months, where are you in this place of new beginnings? Are you on the horizon overlooking an adventure, or on the edge of a cliff standing paralyzed? And they are probably the exact same place.
I think Joshua was there when he took Moses’ place and had to lead the children of Israel into the land God promised. The Lord told him to “be
strong and of good courage, do not be afraid” as He also encouraged the disciples as they stood and watched Jesus, their Messiah ascending away from them and into heaven. No doubt about it this “new” can be a very scary place. I imagine the Wright brothers stood there too that day at Kitty Hawk, and you know what happened to them don’t you? ...They flew.

“Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
Luke 12:32

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,

I was thinking about you and found your site. Its nice to read about what you are doing and the see that your priorities are the same as they were when I last saw you many years ago...you might not remember me but we went to high school together and I went with you to Raul's studio for many years.

Take care,

Lynnette

Sam Scotti said...

Lynnette!! I totally remember you, if it wasn't for you i don't think i would have graduated High School.
Thanks for saying "hey", hope you are well.

Anonymous said...

All is well with me. I adopted a son and daughter who are now four years old and they keep me pretty busy. I also have two girls I adopted when they were 10 years old who are now 23 and 25 years old, so having the little ones is really different, and nice.
Though I will be looking for a live-in nanny pretty soon. The four year olds currently go to a Christian preschool when I work.

Life is a joy each day.

I moved to Crestline, CA with a job transfer last year and am church hunting, which is not my favorite thing to do, but I need to get settled, well, sort of settled if you know what I mean don't ever want to get too settled, in a church soon.

Oh, and I live with my son's imaginary dog, who seems to be pretty obedient, though I can not see him, so who really knows, and two cats, who are not really trainable, but are nice to have around.

Lynnette

Us said...

Sam,
We appreciate hearing from you via your blog as we don't get to see you in person. We are praying for you and Corinne and the family. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your lives.
In His Unfailing Love,
Tim, Sandi, Sarah & Siennah

Sam Scotti said...

Lynnette
Sounds like you have a busy and beautiful life going on. Great to hear all that's been happening with you.
Imaginary dogs are the easiest to train. :c)

Us
Hey "US", "WE" miss you guys (actually girls & guy)