Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Helpless to Remember

Helpless to Remember

I am helpless remembering so many things effecting how I feel right now. Memories of my son Samuel that are so precious to me, the spontaneous "I love you dads", the great bear hugs and kisses, or the times when we would have heart to heart talks about everything from toys to what happens after you die. I could go on and on with the things that warm my heart and are making my eyes well up with tears, but there is one story I do want to share that means a lot to me right now.
I was supposed to go to Las Vegas with a client for a wood working convention back in 1999, but they at the last minuet couldn't go so instead of going to Vegas by myself, I decided to take Samuel with me. I had a great room at the Luxor hotel, and already made reservations for dinner at Mid-Evil times, so my son and I got to enjoy the benefits of my works generosity for a couple of nights.
After our dinner we went walking down the blvd. looking at all the hotels, the fountains, enjoying some of the rides and entertainment. As we went along from hotel to hotel, my son would take and hold my hand. I could see he was having a great time by how his face lit up and by the sparkle in his eyes. I didn't mention it, but Samuel was 13 years old at the time.




Let me ask you a question, how many 13 year old boys would on their own choose to hold their dad's hand while they were walking out in public? Well Samuel did! All night long from place to place he would take my hand, ask me questions, wonder what we were going to do next. I remember one guy walked past us and looked at me rather strange that I was holding this 13 year olds hand and I almost let go worrying what some people might think, but a voice inside me stood firm and said "don't you dare loose this moment!" In fact it was then that I realized what an incredible moment it was, and what a great son I had.
Well Samuel is off to the Marine Corps for the next five years, please pray for the safety of his heart, soul and body, I can't begin to tell you what he means to me, but I know I will never forget. I also can't imagine what he means to God, who knows his full potential and I have great comfort knowing that He will not forget Samuel as well.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a sweet boy. It touched my heart reading that about him holding your hands like that. You have been blessed by GOD with such a wonderful child as your Samuel.

-iva