Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Movies, Society and Finding Our Compass
There were a couple of movies that came out the last few years that received a lot of attention from the “Christian” community. One was The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe from C.S. Lewis’ Narnia Chronicles; the second was The Da Vinci Code from a Dan Brown Novel. Now the attention these two movies received was drastically different, but in retrospect I think the movie that actually opened up more valued conversation for me was the Da Vinci Code, the one that was adverse toward my Christian beliefs. I had some great opportunities to talk to people about the fallacy of all those theories.

So, what’s my point? Maybe we need to change the way we look at things that are contrary to what we believe and instead of feeling threatened by them, see them as opportunities to engage others with what we believe. Take for example the up coming movie “The Golden Compass” If we read and know what the intention of the story is, then we probably know more than most who would see it, which gives us the opportunity to answer any questions that might arise from what is being portrayed. I have never pursued a question about my faith, that hasn’t in the end strengthened my faith, it just takes seeking to find, knocking for the truth to be opened up and asking to get the answer.
All this makes me wonder, how did Christianity spread so quickly throughout the
Roman Empire one of the most depraved and hedonistic civilizations the world has known? What was the attitude of those early followers when confronted with opposition to their beliefs? Confronted with the intense idolatry, rampant sexual perversions and complete dishonesty. I mean we never read of Paul saying “get out of Corinth, the place is filled with prostitutes!” He did say run away from the immorality, but he also said, ”…I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that.” (1Cor. 5:10 NLT). It seems to me that he is implying that they should expect to find just that type of behavior in the midst of the world they lived in, shouldn’t we?
What would happen if we as followers of Jesus actually followed in His steps or those of Paul? What if we really knew and experienced the transforming work of God in our lives and believed it would do the same for everyone who would have faith in as well? Would we worry less about keeping ourselves “safe” and more about stepping up and into the heart and heat of the conversation?
It’s interesting that the origin of the word “pagan” which has come to mean an unbeliever or heathen, first came from the Latin word which means, country dweller. You see there was a time when the followers of Jesus did not run out of the cities to keep themselves from all the wickedness that was there (Rome being the very heart and epicenter of the know world), but instead remained there until the only ones left who had not heard about Jesus were out in the outskirts, the country, the Pagans. They too like Paul had this idea in their heads that they could actually impact the entire world. And you know what? They did! Their compass, like God’s pointed
toward the heart of the world.

… Paul felt compelled by the Spirit to go over to Macedonia and Achaia before going to Jerusalem. “And after that,” he said,
“I must go on to Rome!” (Acts 19:21)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very interesting comment regarding the books. We need to be so careful when entering the secular realm lest we be sucked in. Even our own hearts deceive us.

I've read The Da Vinci Code and I've read Pullman's trilogy. For me there is a big difference in the fact that Pullman's books are intelligent and so engaging. Da Vinci was simply a rollicking read that required a strong suspension of reality; it was all so much larger than life that it bordered on the absurd. Not with Pullman's trilogy. Though fantasy, we are caught unawares by Pullman's ideology, subtly woven through his stories. He does a masterful job of creating a villain that is charming, engaging and portrayed as evil. And all of this is accomplished through the eyes of an innocent child—a protagonist we can immediately identify and sympathize with. A charming and beguiling person through whose viewpoint the church becomes a threat to her existence and identity. We want to protect Lyra and her daemon, but in order to do that, we must denounce her enemies—the church and religion and, ultimately, God. And this is all done with such skill and style that I found it frightening. I think Dan Brown saw a chance to write a story and took it, nothing more. But I believe Philip Pullman had an agenda and he carefully distilled his anger and hate into these books. I felt a hint of this when I read the first books, but was willing to brush it off because I was so caught up in the story. But by the third book, there was no distillation and very little subtlety. I'm strong enough in my faith that I wasn't threatened by these stories, but I did feel evil. And I wonder if those less firmly grounded could be swayed by what he is saying.
Carolyne Aarsen

Anonymous said...

Let's not be too coy about something as obvious as the viewpoint deliberately being preached in "The Golden Compass". Anyone that dares to expose themselves to the message of this story, whether the book or the movie, should be ever so careful that they are not caught up in it's ideology and swept away into the world we are trying to reach.....

Sam Scotti said...

I do not nor want to take the lies and attacks lightly, I in fact want to expose them before they can do the harm.
Star Wars was a form of Taoism or Daoism (Ying Yang, Dark side etc...)and yet the kids of the
Christians who knew this, still saw all of them!
Most of our children have already been exposed or will be exposed to hostile Christian beliefs even as Paul was at Athens, but Paul combated the error with not only the knowledge of the truth, but the knowledge of the error.
I am not proposing that we put our guards down, or just put our defenses up for that matter. Because whether it's through the Golden Compass, Star Wars or a Philosophy class our kids are going to hear the lies.
I am proposing that we go on the offensive and disarm the lie with the truth before it gets to our kids and others through the back door.
I do agree that it is serious and we must be wise as serpents yet harmless as doves.