Saturday, October 6, 2007

Update on friends son Dan

Some of you know about my friends son who has cancer, I wanted to post this update and ask that all of you continue to pray for Dan. Please pray as if this were your own son, brother or loved one and realize that a mother and fathers heart are tied to this young man, so should ours be who are his spiritual family.
"And if one member suffers all the members suffer with it" - 1 Cor. 12:26

From Dan's blog...

So I don't know the last time I blogged... but here goes. I told you in my status I would write about the good news, and now it is coming.

As of tomorrow the 7th, I will have been on chemo for three months (minus a week where I had a break, which was nice) but I did start on 7/7/07. Nice, huh. Well, the good news (aside from me handling the last two treatments (3&4) very well) is I had a PET scan on the 27th of September. I last had a PET scan on July 28th, and my mom took the new scan home and compared it with the old one. Anyway, she called me, and was crying, saying she was looking at my scan... thanks, mom. My dad took the phone, told me it was good news, and my mom was just being emotional.

Basically, in the first scan, my liver was filled with tumors, forcing it all the way across my abdomen. The new scan showed my liver at about 3/4 of the way across my abdomen, which is normal. So they're shrinkin. :D ALSO, in the first scan, they were lighting up a lot, meaning they were metabolically more active than a sugar-loaded 6 year-old. Second scan: they look as active as an octegenarian couch potato. So that's hot. Praise the Lord, faithful like none other.
I didn't want to write until now, because yesterday was when I found out what was happening next. I got chemo again (round 5) and in three weeks, I will have round 6. After that, I will have a CT scan (which better shows size, as PET shows activity better) to check out the size of those little buggers, and see what to do from there. And with the fantastic combination of me tolerating the chemo well plus the chemo kicking those tumors bununus (buttockses in Hume Lake-ish), I think those tumors could be gone soon.

Thanks to all who have prayed at least once, thanks to all those who prayed daily, thanks to God the Almighty of the universe! I'll admit it's a lot easier to say that when things are going well. But it is more powerful to say it when things are poopy. You know? 'I feel like crap, but praise God anyway, because, quite frankly, He's God.' Wow.

Another thing I remembered upon a pondering moment... I remember being frustrated (kinda) that I didn't have a cool testimony. Nothing like, 'I was on the streets addicted to crack' or 'I turned to God when I was about to kill myself'. More like, 'I was born on a Tuesday and in church on Sunday'. Woohoo. But now, God has decided to let me have a testimony more interesting than I've had before. I had a strange form of a rare cancer, random crap happened to my body all the time, and yet, the peace of Christ saturated my soul through it all. He was there through it all, as He had been when I was a healthy, boring-testimonied person. How bout that, huh? God is awesome. Amen.

No comments: